Silver and Flatware/J.E. Caldwell Sterling

I don't know what this is called and cannot find any pictures of them.  We have 12 of these. Some are marked patent applied for and others marked patend Jany 1906.  Please tell me what they are and if there is any value to them.  Only have the glass part for 4 of them.  Thank you Chuck Ratliffe

Although I can't tell how big it is, it looks like a sherbet cup/bowl. It's possible that these were made for J. E. Caldwell by some other manufacturer. If that's the case, one often will find the mark of the manufacturer on the pieces.

Sterling/glass sherbet cups have sold recently on eBay in the range of $15 to $25 each. I imagine yours will fall into that category. I do not know how much the value is affected by the missing glass components.

You might scan the actual sales on eBay of similar items to get a better idea.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland