Silver and Flatware/odd fork

fork odd
fork odd  
what is this fork used for , has a crown (like paw print) then 835 then a spiky crownthen single f p or j on reverse

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was looking through some pictures but I didn't find one picture of a piece like this.

This is a guess - I wonder if it might be a butter pick. I can't tell the length of the piece but if it's around six inches, this might be correct.

If it's longer, It could be a sort of meat stabilizer used in the carving process.

The "835" indicates that it might be European, perhaps German. One sees that number on European pieces to mean 83.5% silver content (sterling is 92.5%).

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland