You are here:

Silver and Flatware/Queen Anne style Bachelor's Tea set


Bottom of coffee pot
Bottom of coffee pot  

QA 4290
QA 4290  
While going through my fathers house after his passing I came across a box full of very tarnished serving pieces.  I have looked around on the web and I am almost sure its silver plated but I am curious what the markings mean.  It has Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company Ltd., 112 Regent Street. W. It also has a "3" and a reverse square looking "C" or a left side open square.  I have used silver polish and cleaned it 2/3 of the way looking for stamps. I did find an engraving that is QA 4290 and a cursive J or G (for Goldmiths?) I have the teapot, coffee pot, cream pitcher and sugar bowl. I attached pictures and the redish color is from the reflection, not the metal.  Other pieces in the box are silver due to the stamps.  thanks very much.


The pictures did not come through for some reason.

I don't recognize the marks you describe. You might contact the company directly: . They probably have someone on staff who answers inquiries like this. Or, they can direct you somewhere.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,


Silver and Flatware

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Stringer


I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........


Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]