Silver and Flatware/1847.r.b.a1 spoon

back side
back side  
QUESTION: like to know exactly what this is and its value

ANSWER: Hi, Jean.

This is a silver plated spoon from Rogers Brothers. The "1847" is the date the company was founded and has nothing to do with manufacture date.

Although I have found nothing with a bowl shaped like this, I wonder if it is a salt spoon. The length appears to be in the ballpark for salt spoons.

Generally, silver plated items don't have much value but since this piece is unusual, it may have more value; I doubt it is large. The picture of the front is fuzzy and I can't make out the pattern to try to research it further.

Best wishes,

QUESTION: like you to have another look with a better picture .look forward to hearing back about this spoon .

I'm going to make a guess here that this piece is in the Arcadian pattern. This pattern is "multi-motif" meaning that several different designs were placed on different pieces. You can see some of the designs on this page: .

Although the specific design of your piece is not shown, the style is very similar to the other designs. So, that's my call on the pattern. lists a salt spoon in this pattern that is 2 inches long but they do not have a picture.

A few pieces of this pattern have sold on eBay recently. Here's an example: . The prices received for the few pieces that have sold are higher than one normally sees for used silver plate. Often, a used silver palte teaspoon sells for about a dollar. Based on what I saw on eBay, your spoon may have a value in the range of $5 to $10. Of course, spoons like yours may not be available very often and could bring a higher price.

Hope this helps.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland