Silver and Flatware/Dixon cutlery

I have a boxed set of fish knives and forks. The box appears to be laminated with wooden keyed corners. It has a faded cloth oval badge inside with J B Yabsley over the top and watchmakers and jewelers horizontally through the center. The pieces of cutlery have the word Dixon followed by a trumpet/bugle motif on the stems. They are all metal with a flared design towards the end of the stem.
Would you be able to approximately date them and also to give some indication of value.

Many thanks

These pieces may have been made by J. Dixon & Sons of Sheffield, England. The bugle mark was used on their silver plate pieces. See . It's difficult to say when these pieces were manufactured. There are some pictures of the bugle mark with dates on the referenced web page. You might be able to narrow the date down with those.

If these pieces are made of silver plate, they don't have much value based solely on silver content. However, they could have value to a collector. It depends on the specific pattern. You might look at actual sales on eBay to see if similar Dixon silver plate pieces have sold recently. That will give you an estimate of value. Here is an example:

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland