Silver and Flatware/knive set

Hello. I have got set of six knives. The only markings are EPNS, no signs of the maker. I believe the handles are bone,they have a almost pearlescent appearance. They seem to me to be in good condition, would perhaps benefit from a clean.
Would you have any idea of a value?

I also have inherited two candle holders,do you have any knowledge on these items?

Thanks.  Alistair

Hi, Alistair.

The "EPNS" means silver plate. These knives are quite unusual and may have some value based on that. I honestly do not have a good idea of what that might be. If I was buying them, I might pay a few dollars per knife but to a collector of such items, they could be worth more. Check for actual sales of similar knives on eBay for a better idea.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland