Silver and Flatware/vintage silver piece

hello, I have a Walker & Hall 4 slice toaster rack. According to hallmark on top side of bottom rim (W&H/crown/lion/C). it dates to 1826. On bottom side of rim hallmark W&H inside a flag along with serial number and walker & hall Sheffield. I took it in to get tested for silver, they said it has silver in it but reacts different to sterling. any thoughts to why?

The only thing that comes to mind is the metal that was mixed with the silver at the time to create sterling. I do not know if that could make a difference.

You might ask the folks at Replacements Ltd. They have a large staff of experts.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland