Silver and Flatware/What does the XX5M mean on the back

12 piece set Tiffany English King flatware
12 piece set Tiffany E  

Close-up of pattern
Close-up of pattern  
Hi Jim,

I inherited a 12-piece Tiffany and Co. English King pattern sterling silver flatware, 111 pieces, English King Mono D (1885, Monos M/T/C stamps) (TISENK1, Pattern # 1885) with specialty pieces e.g. serrated pastry server, 2 mdm cold meat serving forks, 12 long-stemmed ice tea spoons, master butter knife, 2 mdm vegetable serving spoons, gravy ladle, and a pie & cake server, and I was wondering what the small stamped mark on the back "Pat XX5M" means(I believe that's what it says. It's too small to read). And what the approximate re-sale value of this might reasonably fetch. Also, can you further identify this, or correct me with what I believe to be its accurate identity?

Pierce Reynolds

I don't know what the "XX5M" means. Normally, a year is displayed after "Pat" indicating the year in which the patent for the pattern was issued. I tried to figure out some Roman numeral that made since but could not.

The pattern does look like English King.

As far as resale value is concerned, I'm going to give you some calculation work to do. Look at comparable monogrammed pieces on For a working figure estimating what you might sell to a dealer for, multiply what you calculated by 30%. You'll be in the ball park. If you could sell to an end user buyer, the multiplication factor could probably be 50% to 60%.

As you compare your pieces to those at Replacements, be sure to check the length.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland