Silver and Flatware/Forks

Hi Jim.  My name is Susan.  I have in my possession a number of forks and spoons which are marked "84," and next to that is a fleur de lis with an "ED" underneath it.  I've provided photos.  The forks are about 8 1/4 inches long...pretty big and heavy.  Here's the problem.  I know that 84 means 875 silver, right?  Well, these forks attract to a magnet, and they also were chemically tested and I was told that they are not silver, but this was also by a guy who would gladly rip me  So now I hope you can explain to me these hallmarks and what they mean.  Thank you so much, Susan.

The "84" mark is not standard in the silver industry as far as I know, especially in the United States. In the U.S., sterling pieces most often will be marked with the word, "Sterling", or the number "925".

In several other countries where different percentages of silver are in involved, numbers like "800" will be used as an example. This would mean 80% silver. The only time I've seen numbers 100 and below are on some German pieces made of silver plate.

I could not find any reference to the "ED" mark. I feel certain it represents the manufacturer but it was not in my references.

Sorry I could not offer more information.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland