Silver and Flatware/Gorham silver overlay bottle

I have two silver(?) overlay whiskey bottles. They have Gorham marks (lion, anchor, letter) on both. Above the marks are the letters H K P on one and H K Q on the other. They are not marked sterling or have a silver content number. One shows corn the other barley or wheat. Glass is ordinary. My question is are they real Gorham or fakes and are they silver? Thank you

The pictures have disappeared for some reason but I'll try to answer anyway. Here's a page that describes Gorham's sterling marks: . And, here is a page with Gorham's silver plate marks: .

The lion would lead me toward sterling but the absence of the word does raise a doubt. As you can see, some earlier marks did not have "sterling" on them. Maybe that's what you have. The letter should be a "G". If it's not, the piece may not be Gorham because other companies have used the lion and/or anchor in their marks.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland