Silver and Flatware/hallmark or brand on back of item

I have a set of 6 either coffee or just plain demitasse spoons that belonged to my mother. The handles have LESCO JAPAN on back & the underside of handle has the (I think it's called) the double-swelled tip at the end.  I have researched numerous books on flatware & the internet but cannot determine the manufacturer or the estimate time of their manufacture.  I am curious if they are sterling or silverplated since I think (through my research)that LESCO was the trademark for Levine Silversmiths.

You are correct that Levine used this mark on their pieces. They existed as a company at least during the 1920's and 1930's. If they don't have any indication on them to indicate sterling, they most likely are made of silver plate. By the time this company existed, marking pieces as sterling was standard. To not mark sterling as such would make no sense.

Silver companies often had plated pieces, gold and silver, manufactured in Asia. So, that's my guess here.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland