Silver and Flatware/NSC Marianne Pattern - Full set

QUESTION: Hi Jim,  I am trying to get some information on a full set of NSC Marianne silver.  It is a place setting for 12 and has about 75ish pieces.  There seems to be little information on the web about this company and pattern.  By chance would you know a ballpark figure on the value?  Thanks in advance for your help.

ANSWER: Hello.

Just to make sure, do the forks and spoons have the word, "Sterling", on them? You can reply in a follow up quarions.

Yes, they are stamped "sterling" on the back.

I would contact the folks at and at to see what they would pay. Since they have little or no inventory, they might be interested in adding some. Even if you don't sell to them, you'll have a baseline price to work from. I betting the price will be in the $1,000 to $1,300 range. If you were to sell to an individual (as opposed to a dealer), you could target twice that (or twice whatever they offer).

I have no experience with this pattern and as you have found out, the market is not clear. Therefore, I could be way off.

Best wishes,

P.S. The National Silver Company began business under that name in 1904 in New York City and stopped making flatware around 1945, I believe.  

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland