Silver and Flatware/Silverware

A fork is identified J Wiss & Sons and also has number "12." What is the significance of the "12"?

J. Wiss was known more for manufacturing scissors and shears. So, I'm guessing J. Wiss & Sons Jewelers was the original retailer for your fork and the manufacturer was some other company. I don't know what the "12" represents. It's not a standard silver industry mark. Just guessing, it might represent a model number or 1912 as year of manufacture. But those truly are just guesses.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland