Silver and Flatware/value of a name on sterling silverware

i have a lot sterling silver flatware sets and some teapots , cups, wine holders etc. Some stuff i dont even know what it is. They are hand me downs from my family dating back to the 1920s, i have been doing a lot of resreach and most of it is from the 40s from wm rogers and it is all .925. Total wiegth is about 60 lbs. My question is 70% of it has the family name on them. DOTY they are from chicago. Does the name lessen the value or up it?

Hi, Michael.

Generally, a name or monogram devalues a piece. It often depends on the pattern. If it's rare, people are willing to put up with minor things like this. Also, Wm Rogers was known mostly for silver plate. The fact that these pieces are sterling might make them interesting to a collector. Just to make sure, is the word, "Sterling", on the back?

In doing your research, look under International Silver as well since they now own this brand. FYI, the brand, Wm A Rogers, is owned by Oneida. Confusing, isn't it?

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland