Silver and Flatware/victorian pickle castor

I have one with the stamp of Meridan Silver Plate Co. and the number 692. Does the number indicate when it was made? Can this be determined?

The number probably is a model number. One would have to know when Meriden was manufacturing this model to determine when it might have been made. I don't have access to that information.

The earliest date probably is 1869. If the word, "International" is included on a piece, it had to have been made after 1898. If "International" is missing, it still could have been made after 1898 because International often used original marks even after purchasing companies.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland