Silver and Flatware/Silver Baby Cup Marking (Number)

I have a silver baby cup that I'm looking for information on. It's small, 2.4" in diameter and 2" tall. I think I've identified the maker as Manchester Silver Co from Rhode Island based on the marking on the bottom. Under the mark it says "STERLING" and under that it says "85". How should I interpret these marks? Does the "85" relate to the purity of the silver? It isn't likely to be related to the date of manufacture as the cup is engraved with the name "George" and likely would be from my infancy (1956-57) or possibly my father's (1916). Thanks for any help you can provide!

The "85" probably is a model number. Silver manufacturers often identified patterns or specific pieces with numbers like this. I can't say when it was manufactured except to guess that it was the first half of the 20th century.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland