Silver and Flatware/small glass jar with sterling cap

glass and silver image 1
glass and silver image  

glass and silver image 2
glass and silver image  
Can you tell me what this is and an approximate value please?  The marks are:
JD on top of a WD, a walking lion, the Chester town mark and an upright, script letter A.

Thank you!

I don't have much experience with pieces like this. I've seen similar pieces that the seller called a "vanity jar" or "dresser jar". Prices have been all over the place but many have sold in the range of $25 to $75 with most at the lower end.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland