Silver and Flatware/Tea set?

My tea set
My tea set  
I recently bought this tea set from the Salvation Army here in my town, it looks old and has some interesting marks on it. They read: S. P. Brass, BM Spout, and Lead Mts 9976. Also what appears to be a "b w" on some sort of crest on it too. I would really appreciate your input!
Thanks so much

Shylee Ann Agnew

This looks like a very nice set and should bring you lots of joy. I'm afraid I can't tell you much about it.

The "S. P. Brass" probably means "Silver Plate over Brass". I see nothing that would indicate sterling. "9976" probably is a model number for the pattern. This is purely a guess but I wonder if "BM" stands for "Britannia metal" with silver plate on the surface. That is a stretch on my part but it's possible. "Lead mts" relates to the soldering process. The "b w" probably represents the manufacturer but I do not know who it is.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland