Silver and Flatware/unkown candle holders

I have these two candle holders and they have no hallmarks or signs of any kind that I can see.. and ive look for hours... their main design is flowers. When I unscrewed the base you can see holes in the bottem of the holder. Their not plated. I know that much but thats it. They were my grandmas. They look silver but their is some green tarnish on some areas and their slightly magnetic. Any knowledge about price or metal content would be appreciated. ..thanks

Hi, John.

I'm afraid I can't determine what they are made of. Consider taking them to a high-end antique dealer in your area for a closer look. You might also drop by one of those "We Buy Gold" shops that have sprung up everywhere. I would not sell to them but get a bid from them. At least you will have a baseline and more info. You might also get a bid from an established pawn shop. Again, not to sell but to gain info.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland