Silver and Flatware/Sheffield Reproduction Silver Plate? Bowl

Full View
Full View  

Back View
Back View  

I've done some research on the referenced item and know it was made by the Derby Silver Company. I've been able to ascertain the meaning of all the marks except the NS? on the far right. See photos.

I'm assuming it's silver plated; however, I'd like to be sure. I would also like to know when it may have been made, the name of the silver design style, and finally :+) its value. It's in lovely condition except for hairline scratches in the center of the front. The 3 areas of scratches on the back are more visible.

It's very thin and light in weight except for the ball feet on the underside.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Often, "NS" means "nickel silver". If this is the case here, it means that the piece is probably silver plated. However, some nickel silver contains no silver at all. I can't say definitely in this case which is true. My bet would be silver plate.

I don't have any information about the date of manufacturer except that it probably was made between 1872 and 1933. Since I did not find any sales of this specific piece, the value is yet to be determined. I can say that many silver plate pieces of various types from Derby have sold in the $10 to $20 range.

Sorry I could not help any more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland