Silver and Flatware/Wallace plate pattern

Hello Jim - I have a bread plate with the marking RW&S, sterling, 2899 x 7. Also with a stag's head between the W and &. I am interested in finding out more about it because the pattern on the edge is geese in front of a fence. Seems unusual for a bread plate - could this be a baby's plate? I also have a sterling fork with a goose head handle. Any info you have is appreciated - thanks!

I don't have any info on the pieces you mentioned. Based on the model number and the type of trademark, I assume they were made in the late 19th century or early 20th century.  I did find several places where a bread plate with model number 2899 was mentioned but the associated pictures seemed to indicate a smooth edge with no design. Perhaps you are correct that this is a child's plate.

The length of the fork could be a clue. A "baby fork" is usually about four inches long. A "youth fork" is often around six inches long. You might scan the patterns for Wallace here to see if you can find a match: .

Sorry I could not help any more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland