Silver and Flatware/Wallace silversmiths tray

Hi Jim,
On 11/5/2012 you received a query from a Mike Robbins about a Wallace Silversmiths tray with a strange set of markings. These were the Wallace "W" with the five-petaled flower at the top, followed by a stag's head, then the lion passant, then a crown.  You answered him and said you had never seen this grouping before and you were going to look into it more. I have a silver tray that is stamped Royal English by Wallace and then the four hallmarks below.  I am hoping you found out something else about this set of markings and can help me out so I can get some idea of what this means as far as the value of the tray and even whether it is actually sterling or not. It has been driving me crazy because I searched everywhere trying to find anything about it at all, so I was extremely happy to come across this old question to you.

I appreciate anything you can tell me!

Here is my best guess at this point.

The crown and lion are "pseudo-marks" that have no meaning. The other marks are common Wallace marks. I base this primarily on answers to a similar question found in the forum at

There is at least on Wallace Royal English tray for sale now on eBay that has the marks you described. The tray is advertised as silver plate. You might send a message through eBay to the seller asking if information is available regarding the marks.

Sorry I could not help any more than that.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland