Silver and Flatware/nakens towle silverware set

towle silver 1
towle silver 1  

towle silver 2
towle silver 2  
Dear Jim,

We are writing from the Netherlands.
I recently inherited this silverware set from my mother. It was a wedding present to my parents around 1950.
We hardly ever use it ourselves as it is somewhat formal for our taste.
We would like to know what the different approaches would be to sell the set.  Could you also give us an estimate of the worth.
Or is it better to hold on to it? We have no idea of the silver market at this time.

Thank you very much.

My best regards,

The silver market is a bit depressed right now, so I'd consider holding the set for a while.

This pattern looks might it may be King Richard. Make sure that it is made of sterling by looking for the word, "Sterling", on the backs of spoons and forks.

With regard to value, I'd look at actual recent sales on eBay in order to get some idea. Here is an example: . Several other sets and many individual pieces have been sold recently.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland