Silver and Flatware/how to repair Sterling "Shell" knives that rattle

If you have time -- I know you get a lot of questions -- but I could find no entry for this question.  We own seven place settings of the Kirk Stieff Sterling Williamsburg "Shell" pattern, and six of the knives rattle.  It seems that if I take them to a jeweler or restoration individual, it will cost more to repair the knife than it does to purchase a replacement.  Is there some way I can fairly inexpensively repair the knives, so that they do not rattle, and make the blades more secure in a couple of the knives.  Thanks so much in advance for anything you can do to assist me.

James Eckblad - Chicago/MIlwaukee

I'm not expert on repairing knives but I can point you to this article that will at least give you some information about these knives: . That article links to another that has more pictures of a knife handle.

I imagine that the cement has cracked inside the knife handle and it may be small chunks of the cement that you hear as a rattle. For the knives with the loose blades, I imagine the base of the blade embedded in the cement is working loose.

I have never repaired such a knife and really do not know how to do it. I do know that people often have new blades attached to original handles but I've not watched the process.

I agree that purchasing replacement knives might be cheaper, especially since silver prices are a bit depressed right now. I recommend looking on eBay to see what knives like yours are selling for. Since these knives often are not available on eBay, you may have to check from time to time to watch for them.

You might also check with the folks at to see what they would charge to repair your knives. They have an extensive repair facility.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland