Silver and Flatware/Jewelry and Sterling Flatware

As life would have it, I am in a financial crisis. I've a large set of International Sterling Royal Danish from my mother, though the knives are all stainless. I have seen so many pieces on ebay with no bids. Is the best case scenario shipping them somewhere for the melt value? Are these companies reputable? I have the same question on jewelry. Knowing appraisers take a hefty bit (at least here in Santa Fe) makes it difficult so am also wondering if at this point, simply mailing the small amount of gold I have in for melt value is also the best solution? My root canal awaits! Argh! Love this site....bless you and those assisting the rest of us.

Royal Danish does sell on eBay and selling via that route would probably provide you with the most money. You are correct in that many pieces do not sell but that may be because the seller was asking too much.

I use NTR Metals when I want to sell something for scrap. They have offices in several cities and they also work via mail. They only deal with other businesses so you would have to present yourself as a business to them. They pay 90% of the market value for silver and 98% for gold, I believe. There are other reputable places like NTR but I don't have experience with them.

I would be willing to make an offer for your Royal Danish. You probably would make more selling it yourself through eBay but if you don't want to fool with that, send an inventory of pieces to me at Include the lengths of the pieces. It would take about a week to conclude everything and get your money in your hands. If you send an email, I'll also make a contingent offer for the melt-down pieces.

Hope this helps.

Bets wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland