Silver and Flatware/Question

Good day
What are the different ways one can test silver to determine the grade, quality and to tell if silver is genuine or fake; for someone who does not have a background in precious metals and knows little about metals.
Which methods are most reliable?

Since I deal primarily in brand names of flatware and hollowware, I judge a piece primarily by the manufacturer's markings. It is possible for a piece to be counterfeit but I have not run across one that I know of.

There is an acid test used by some people to determine silver content. Here is an article about it: . I have not had to use that method but there are many who claim that it works just fine.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland