Silver and Flatware/Rogers silver

rogers 1881
rogers 1881  
QUESTION: Please tell me what you know about this piece and its worth.
I have the set of 8 dinner forks.

Tell me the exact words and symbols you see on the back.

QUESTION: ON the dinner says PAT 1895 then there are 2 symbols and then it says STERLING   ther is a u at the other end of the fork by the handle. it has a monogram on the front of it

The picture of the fork looks a lot like Gorham Chantilly. It was introduced by Gorham in 1895. Look at the symbols to see if they might be a lion, an anchor and the script letter "G" or something similar. This is what Gorham used prior to about 1950.

The monogram reduces the value somewhat. Also, the length makes a difference. Dinner forks are 7 1/2 inches long and luncheon forks are about 7 inches long.

Dinner forks with monograms sold by an individual have been selling in the $35 to $50 range each lately on eBay. Here is an example: . One reason the price is in the low end of the range for this example is the "T" symbol on the back which means "Trade" weight, the lightest of the various weights Gorham made.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland