Silver and Flatware/silver plated and glass piece

glass bowl
glass bowl  
My Grandmother gave my mother two small handled trays with oval glass bowls. Silver is marked made in England walter oxley sheffield. Glass has a H in a diamond. Would like to know a little about them.  Thank you Rebecca

I've researched this company for other questioners and have been unsuccessful in finding much information. As you pointed out, the silver portion of your piece is made of silver plate. Because of the "EPNS" mark,  I'm assuming the piece was made in the late nineteenth century or early twentieth century. It could have been later than that but probably not earlier since electroplating was developed in the mid-nineteenth century.

You can find a few pieces from this company that have sold on eBay. You might search for some of those and compare them to your piece.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland