Silver and Flatware/Change of Knife Blade Shape

When were knife blades changed from the rounded shape to the modern shape used today? 20th Century? If so about what year? Thank You, Ann

I can't pin this down to a specific year but the early 20th century is a reasonable time frame. I have some Gorham catalogs for a few patterns dated between 1898 and 1915. They all have the rounded tip blades for knives. So, my guess would be somewhere around 1925. Around the time of the change, there was also a shift from silver plated blades to stainless steel blades.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland