Silver and Flatware/Super Silver

I purchased a place setting of Reed and Barton on eBay.  The plastic sleeves are marked "super silver".  The pattern matches that of a set of silver plated flatware I've had for over 30 years.

What is super silver?  I know it's not stainless because it arrived tarnished, but did clean up well with silver polish.  Is it silverplate, silverplate with less plating than in the past, a combination with stainless?

Thank you.

Sorry for the delay in replying. I was looking through my references and could find no reference to "super silver". My best guess is that it is a trade name for silver plate. If it was sterling, R&B would have stamped it as such. R&B is still in business so you might contact them to ask.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland