Silver and Flatware/Old sugar spoon

I just purchased a old sugar spoon at a thrift shop. Has no markings saying silver plated. How do i tell if it's solid silver? Thank you

Virtually all sterling pieces were marked to indicate that fact. Most sterling pieces made in the U.S. since about 1870 will have the word, "Sterling", on the back or bottom. A few might have the number "925", which represents 92.5% silver content.

Sterling pieces made in other countries may use different marks.

It is highly likely that a thrift shop owner would have separated out any sterling pieces because the value is so much greater than silver plate pieces. Owners of shops like this generally are very knowledgeable regarding identification of valuable pieces.

See for more info.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland