Silver and Flatware/Rogers Bros. Silver Vase

I have an 1847 Rogers Bros. 15 inch Silver Vase with #00589 printed on the bottom that was given to me about 45 years ago.
I wondered if it was silver or silver plate and what its value would be.

The "589" is the model or catalog number. The "1847" relates to the founding date of the company and does not have any relationship with the actual date of manufacture. This Rogers brand was acquired by International Silver in 1898 and International continued to use the brand for a number of years.

Since the word, "Sterling", is not present, we can feel certain the vase is made of silver plate. Most vases like this in good condition sell in the $10 to $30 range when sold by an individual.

For a second opinion, try:

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland