Silver and Flatware/REINER Silverware

I have a 44 piece set that belonged to my deceased wife from Aachen, Germany.  She would have purchased them in Aachen in the late 60's or early 70's.  They were Hand Engraved with her initials AW, and the man who did the engraving did no more by hand after hers.  They are stamped REINER C (a crown symbol) 800.  8 each dinner knife, dinner fork, soup spoon, tea spoon, salad fork plus 4 serving pieces. They look brand new with no blemishes, dings, etc....hardly ever used.  When I search for the silversmith I only come up with Gebruder Reiner, who appears to use a different stamp.

Any idea of their value and how I can sell them?

Jerry Phelps

The "C" may actually be a crescent. The crescent followed by a crown is a common German mark for silver from many companies. The 800 probably means the pieces are 80% silver (excluding pieces like knives). Sterling is 92.5% silver content and this is a common standard in the U.S. but several European countries have manufacturers who use something less than 92.5%. The 80% level is still high.

The "AW" may actually make your set less valuable. It just depends upon the specific buyer.

I'd look for actual sales on eBay of similar sets to estimate value. Here is an example of a few pieces: . You can extrapolate a per-piece price. The example I referenced is 92.5% silver but you'll be in the ballpark. Then, consider selling your set on eBay.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland