Silver and Flatware/International Sterling flatware set

basic set
basic set  

extended hostess set
extended hostess set  

I am interested in selling the following set of flatware.  It is from the early 1950's, in good condition, and consists of the following:

International Sterling Silver Service Wild Rose pattern

78 piece service for 8, including:

- 8 4-tine dinner forks

- 8 4-tine salad forks

- 8 3-tine shrimp forks

- 8 cream soup spoons

- 16 dinner spoons

- 8 iced tea spoons

- 8 dinner knives

- 8 butter spreaders

- 6 youth spoons

Additional serving pieces include:

- Large knife and fork carving set

- large cake server

- small cheese server

- 2 large serving spoons

- large serving fork

- large tomato server

- small tomato server

- mid size ladle

- small ladle

- large sugar shell (elongated serving spoon)

- small sugar shell (elongated serving spoon)

- jelly spoon

in a fitted silver chest of anti-tarnish cloth

What is your opinion relative to a fair market price for a complete set of this nature?  

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it greatly.

For an individual selling a sterling set like this, I usually look to eBay as a good guide of value. It offers a huge marketplace for items like this. There have been several recent sales of sets of this pattern, none quite as large as yours. Extrapolating the per piece sale price and adding a small premium because of the size of the set, I'd guess it would bring around $3,000 on eBay.

A dealer will probably offer less but to get an idea of what a dealer might offer, you could solicit offers from and Then, you'll have the bottom end of the value range. Both these companies will work with you via email.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland