Silver and Flatware/International Sterling flatware set

Question
basic set
basic set  

extended hostess set
extended hostess set  
Jim,

I am interested in selling the following set of flatware.  It is from the early 1950's, in good condition, and consists of the following:

International Sterling Silver Service Wild Rose pattern

78 piece service for 8, including:

- 8 4-tine dinner forks

- 8 4-tine salad forks

- 8 3-tine shrimp forks

- 8 cream soup spoons

- 16 dinner spoons

- 8 iced tea spoons

- 8 dinner knives

- 8 butter spreaders

- 6 youth spoons

Additional serving pieces include:

- Large knife and fork carving set

- large cake server

- small cheese server

- 2 large serving spoons

- large serving fork

- large tomato server

- small tomato server

- mid size ladle

- small ladle

- large sugar shell (elongated serving spoon)

- small sugar shell (elongated serving spoon)

- jelly spoon

TOTAL OF 92 PIECES

in a fitted silver chest of anti-tarnish cloth

What is your opinion relative to a fair market price for a complete set of this nature?  

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, I appreciate it greatly.

Steven

Answer
Hello.

For an individual selling a sterling set like this, I usually look to eBay as a good guide of value. It offers a huge marketplace for items like this. There have been several recent sales of sets of this pattern, none quite as large as yours. Extrapolating the per piece sale price and adding a small premium because of the size of the set, I'd guess it would bring around $3,000 on eBay.

A dealer will probably offer less but to get an idea of what a dealer might offer, you could solicit offers from www.replacements.com and www.antiquecupboard.com. Then, you'll have the bottom end of the value range. Both these companies will work with you via email.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jim

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer