Silver and Flatware/butter knife

Me and my son just got into metal detecting and found a wm a rogers nickel silver butter knife. Found one on ebay that has the exact same pattern but the marking of nickel silver is different. The one on ebay has nickel silver over top of one another and mine has nickel silver in straight line which one would be earlier piece and about what year would mine be?

It's very difficult to tell the year of manufacture. Companies adjusted their marks all the time. It will also depend on the specific pattern.

This brand was taken over by Oneida in the early 20th century and that could also impact where the marks were placed.

You might be interested in this: .

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland