Silver and Flatware/Reed & Barton tea set

QUESTION: I am trying to find out what year a 3 pc silver tea set that was given to me is. It does not have any symbols on it. It does have the word GILT on it & a # 100.
Would love any help with this.

ANSWER: Hello.

I have a couple of questions.

If it does not have any marks, how do you know it is from Reed and Barton?

Is the set gold-plated? This would explain "Gilt".

The "100" could be a model or catalog number but I'll wait for your reply before checking further. Just reply in a follow up question.

Best wishes,

QUESTION: It says it is made my Reed & Barton on it on the bottom of all 3 pieces.

It does say plated on it. But it is silver.

Without the word, "Sterling", on the pieces, it's likely the amount of silver involved is low. Reed and Barton used the word, "Plated", to imply silver plating most often but in a few cases, it meant gold-plated. The company, like virtually all silver companies, definitely placed the word, "Sterling", on sterling pieces. It would have been foolish not to do so.

It appears that Reed and Barton had sets in both silver plate and sterling that carried the model number, "100". They may not have been of the same design. I do not know the name of the patterns associated with this model number. Since "Sterling" is not indicated, this must be the silver plate version.

Sorry I could be of no help. You might review the pictures of the Reed and Barton sets at to look for a match for your set.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland