Silver and Flatware/800 silver bowl

I bought this item at a local op shop and would love to know more about it. in the middle there is a stamp that either says 800 or 900. The left side of the number is missing so it's hard to tell. Any information would be great!

In some European countries (especially Germany), 800 and 900 are used to indicate amount of silver in a piece. For example, 800 indicates 80% silver.

However, this is usually accompanied by other identifying information such as an indication of who made the piece. So, we really cannot say with certainty what we have here.

If you plan to keep it, I would not worry about it. It's a nice piece and worthy of display. However, if you are looking to sell it, you may have to have it tested or appraised. There is an acid test a jeweler could perform to estimate silver content. It would leave a scratch on the piece but that should not be a serious problem on the underside.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland