You are here:

Silver and Flatware/Candleholders


Bottom maker
Bottom maker  

I have 2 candleholders, that are made of silver and ivory with a special marking on the bottom of both candelholders.  I think they're English, handed down to my wife.  Any help identifying what we have would be greatly appreciated.....


Unfortunately, the marks on the bottom do not match standard American or British marks. The British standard is rather rigorous and can be seen at American marks do not conform to such a defined standard. However, most sterling pieces made in America are marked "Sterling" or "925".

There is a forum at where you can post your question and pictures. Several experts participate and maybe one will recognize what you have.

Sorry I could not help.

Best wishes,


Silver and Flatware

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jim Stringer


I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........


Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland

©2017 All rights reserved.