Silver and Flatware/Old connecticut silversmiths

I have several pieces of sterling silver. The silversmiths are D B Hempstead, O D Seymour, J O Pitkin and others.  How do I know if they are more valuable than their silver weight?

It sounds like you have some interesting pieces. I would guess they are made of coin silver rather than sterling. However, they could be sterling. In either case, they would have a high silver content.

I would hate to sell them for scrap, especially at today's silver market price. I can only offer general advice about determining value. I'd take them to museums that display this type of merchandise and get their opinion. I'd also take them to high end antique shops and auction houses for opinions.

Sorry I can't offer more specific advice.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland