Silver and Flatware/Silver soup spoons

Soup spoon markings
Soup spoon markings  
6 Silver Soup Spoons
6 Silver Soup Spoons  
QUESTION: Dear Mr Stringer, I stumbled across your website when trying to find out more about some items that I have acquired over the years and with a view to ascertaining their value, if any.  The photos are the best I can take at present:

6 Silver Soup Spoons

I do hope you can assist me and I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

With kindest regards,

ANSWER: Hello.

I cannot read the back side marks in the picture. Perhaps you could describe them for me.

Best wishes,

Yes it is not easy to read but Made in Sheffield England.

The very small markings look like:          
Gss   Gss  2 cogs   large S   4 little markings in a square

Good luck,

Sheffield was known for its silver plate goods but they also made sterling pieces. Most silver plate pieces don't have a lot of value but it would be worth trying to figure out if they are sterling or not.

Read the discussion about British sterling hallmarks at and compare the markings in the squares with what you see on that site.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland