Silver and Flatware/Sterling Silver - Mini trays/dishes?

I recently purchased these and was wondering;
1)  what were these used for?
2) what is the "year date" on the hallmark? (How old is it?)
* they stack up into each other
* weight is a little over 4 oz total.

These bear the "old" Gorham mark, meaning they probably were made before 1950. Beyond that, it's difficult to tell actual age. The "B4209" probably is a model number or catalog number. If we knew the manufacture dates for this model number, we would have a better clue but it's very difficult to find documentation on that issue.

Perhaps these are all-purpose serving dishes for something like lemons or pickles?? They might also be nut dishes or for other snacks.

Sorry I could not help more.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland