Silver and Flatware/Unique Server

This piece was among an inherited sterling silver set that I would guess was around the mid 1800s. It has no silver markings on the back and yet seems of some value due to it's uniqueness. It has a peacock at the top of the stem and just before it goes into the lattice work at the stem's base a face.  Further down is the profile of a man's face. I'm interested to know anything about this.

I'm sorry that I cannot add any new information here. Without maker's marks, it's very difficult to tell what we have. If it was made in the mid-1800's it could have been made of sterling or coin silver or it could have been silver plate.

You might post your question and picture on the forum at Perhaps a forum participant will recognize it.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland