Silver and Flatware/Antique Spoon - Silver?

Silver Spoon
Silver Spoon  

Silver Spoon - Hallmarks
Silver Spoon - Hallmar  
I recently purchased a large silver spoon at an antique consignment store for $7.00. The price tag on it read - "English Spoon". The back of spoon has a lion passant hallmark, however it's facing right. I did some research and found that the English silver lion passant always face left, except for Gorham. The only right facing lion passant I could find is in Dutch silver. I am not sure if this is Dutch though.  There is a capital "H" next to the lion. I believe the initials of maker's mark is - DMW . (I am not 100% positive on the middle initial M)
The front of spoon is inscribed in fancy cursive writing "Hermine"  "August 11, 1871" .  I have a few questions regarding the spoon that I hope you can help me with.  
1) what country do you think this spoon was made in?
2) is it sterling or coin silver?
3) how old is the spoon? About what year?
4) is this a fiddle shell spoon?

Any other info would be appreciated..thanks

I'm sorry to say I'm not going to be much help here. Here are some general thoughts:

I agree that this spoon could be of Dutch manufacture. The "H" could be a date mark corresponding to 1842. However, all the Dutch date marks I've seen are embedded in circles, not rectangles.

It does look to be a combination of generic shell and fiddle patterns.

If it is Dutch, the lion indicates a minimum of .934 silver purity which is higher than coin or sterling.

Sorry I don't have any more information.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland