Silver and Flatware/Hughes & Neubauer Jewelers

QUESTION: I have quite a bit of silver, both sterling and silver plate, flatware that is contained in cloths that are stamped Hughes & Neubauer Jewelers, Dayton, Ohio.  I have a set of 12 sterling butter knives which are engraved with a family initial, and I have a set of 12 small soup spoons that are not engraved, but appear to be silver plate.  I can't find anything about this jeweler.  I'm hoping you have some information.

ANSWER: Hello.

I don't know anything about this company. I can say that it was once common for retail jewelers to have their names stamped onto pieces made by some other company. If there are others words or symbols on the backs of the pieces, feel free to send a picture of those marks and I'll try to identify them.

Best wishes,

QUESTION: Thank you for the reply. The jewel we'd stamp is actually in the silver cloth holding the flatware. I'm sending pictures. The small soup spoons are 5" long and butter knives are approx. 5 1/2" long.

Based on some reference books I have, "Gee Esco" was a brand name used by Glastonbury Silver Co. of Chicago. I believe that brand/company may have been taken over by Oneida at some point.

I can't quite make out all the details of the pattern in the picture but it resembles "Pearl". See what you think on this page: .

The spoons are made of silver plate and do not have a great value. Here's an example of a recent sale of this pattern: .

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland