Silver and Flatware/Reed & Barton piece

side view
side view  

inside bowl design
inside bowl design  
This Reed & Barton piece was given to us. I am trying to get some insight as to value, age, and maybe basic history. The bottom says "Mf'd & plated by Reed & Barton" then gives a number that is partly illegible (2239?) Then "Design pat Jan 5" either 1859 or 1959 (the numbers are hard to make out). It also has a 4 (or i guess it could be a vx?) that is etched into the bottom. Each side has a medallion with a profile bust of what looks like roman figures (soldiers? Royalty?). Short sides have the same figure (female?) and long sides have same figure (male)
Thank you,

I have not seen a piece like this before so I can't be much help here. I recommend taking it by some high end antique stores in your area to get their opinions. If antique shows come to your area, take the piece in to the next one and show it to several silver dealers.

Sorry I could not help.

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland