Silver and Flatware/silver

I have a 3 piece knife carving set in the original box marked S. Kurtz Zook, Lancaster, Pa - the handle is marker with an X sterling and what looks like 22LY  - the 3 pieces are the carving knife - fork and the knife sharpener -
Can you tell me anything about the value

Probably only the outer shell of the handles are made of sterling. Generally, inside such handles is a cement compound to hold the blade in place. Therefore, it's difficult to tell what the weight of the silver content is. Often its around 15 to 18 grams of sterling in each piece like this.

I found a few pieces of Zook flatware available or sold on the Internet but no carving sets. Therefore, this estimate is a total guess: around $50 to $75 for the set.

I'd get a second opinion.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland