Silver and Flatware/Trying to ID mark on Intl. Sterling flatware set

Intl Sterling mark
Intl Sterling mark  

Storage case
Storage case  
Hi Jim, we recently inherited a beautiful complete International Sterling flatware set and we are trying to determine its age and perhaps origin, but it's mark on the back is unlike anything we have seen in our research. I attached an image; it's a bit blurry when you zoom but I am sure I can take a better pic if needed.  I also attached a pic of the carrying case.  

Any ideas?

Thanks!  Stephen

This is the Pine Tree pattern, manufactured between 1927 and 1974. The picture of the tree on the back is part of the pattern.

I can't make out the symbol just before the word, "Sterling". Unfortunately, AllExperts reduces the size of pictures for display. This page illustrates some of the International Silver marks: .

The Gorham case is independent of the set. It was common for people to purchase a case separately from their flatware sets.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland