Silver and Flatware/Flatware

I have a 72 pc set of flatware in a case 60 pcs knives,forks & spoons in the top tray. Bottom tray has 3 large serving spoons,carving knife (w) fork,salad spoon, gravy ladle,butter knife & salad spoons. The knifes are marked prunus solingen with a branchlike symbol between them. Under that is rostfrei. All pieces are marked with 800. All pieces also have a mark of bg on them. They are definitely silver as all pieces are tarnished. The case seems to be leather covered with a blue cloth interior. What type of set is this?  What do you think the value of this set is?

This appears to be of German origin. The words on the blades indicate that the blades are made of stainless steel which is common. The "800" is a German indicator that a piece is 80% silver content. The remainder of the metal probably is something like copper. This is considered high silver content but not as high as sterling (92.5% silver) which is common from U.S. manufacturers. The "bg" probably is the identifying mark for the manufacturer but I am not familiar with it.

Based on recent sales of other flatware with the "800" mark, an individual selling this set probably could get between $600 and $1,000. Consider selling on eBay. A dealer probably would pay less.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland