Silver and Flatware/James Dixon & Sons catalogue

My father was a silversmith at JD&S, Cornish Works, Sheffield (England).  I have a complete pre-WW2 catalogue for everything the firm produced (all hollowware, castware, etc)with prices.  It is a large bound volume, the like of which I have never seen elsewhere.  Do you have suggestions as to how I should market/auction it please?
Many thanks, James

What an interesting question! I would love to buy it myself but I doubt I could afford it since I'm retired from active business.

As a start, you might want to contact the Sheffield assay office: They may not be interested in buying it but they might be able to offer suggestions regarding potential buyers. You might also contact the people behind this site: . The people at maintain an extensive research library and they might want it.

I think it would be worth contacting people like this just for research at first. You might be able to measure interest and develop a price. It would not be unreasonable to place it on international eBay but I think gathering data first would be beneficial.

After you have tried the sources I've mentioned, feel free to contact me again and tell me what you've found. I'll be thinking about this in the meantime to see if I can come up with other ideas.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland