Silver and Flatware/pattern name on handle

We inherited a fairly complete set of 1847 Rogers Bros "First Love" silver plate, & just purchased some pieces hoping to fill out what's missing. The one's we just purchased have "First Love" engraved on the underside of the handle, while the ones we inherited do not. Otherwise, they appear identical.

Question: Does having the pattern name on the handle change a piece's value, or help in identifying its age?

Having the name on the back (or not) does not really affect value. It might make some difference to a few purist collectors but not for most people.

The name probably would help identify age but I do not know when the name was placed on pieces. The matter is further confused because International Silver Company took over this Rogers brand in 1898. International continued to use the brand for many years and introduced First Love in 1937. I understand it was discontinued in 1973.

Best wishes,

Silver and Flatware

Jim Stringer

I answer questions about sterling flatware and other sterling pieces........... I answer value questions at I also author a blog at and write articles about silver at ........... Thanks to nominations from questioners, I'm listed in the Top 50 Experts for 2014 and 2015.......... NOTE: Please do not give me a verbal description of a pattern and ask me to identify it. Attach a picture if you need such help..........

Buyer and seller of sterling pieces for over ten years. Author of the blog, Sterling silver writer for

Publications;; "Selling_Your_Silver: A Guide to Finding a Buyer and Getting a Good Price (

BS, University of Alabama; MS, University of Maryland